Meet our Local Mountaineering Hero!
Duration: 2 hour session.
Aim of session:
- To explore the importance of determination and perseverance to climb mountains and achieve goals in life.
- To explore human needs for survival and how risks can be reduced with the right equipment.
- To compare clothing and equipment used in climbing high mountains in the past and today.
- To plan what equipment would be needed to climb a Lake District Fell themselves.
- Explore Chris Bonington exhibition: What did Chris Bonington do? What were some of his outstanding achievements? What did he receive to recognise his efforts? What is a hero? Is Chris a hero?
- Examine changes in equipment over time: Investigate Boots of different ages –What boots would they need to climb up a Lake District Mountain?
- Back a rucksack of attitudes and values: Using photos of CB and colleagues to determine other important things to succeed in climbing a mountain
- What is in a rucksack? From a selection of actual clothing and objects select what to put in a rucksack to climb a Lake District Fell today.
Curriculum links for PSHE:
- Core themes – personal, interpersonal and social effectiveness, managing risk and decision making.
- Healthy lifestyle and awareness of physical abilities.
- Examining values and attitudes in others as a role model to learn from.
Curriculum links for Design/technology:
- Use research and develop design criteria to inform the design of innovative, functional, appealing products that are fit for purpose, aimed at particular individuals or groups
- Investigate and analyse a range of existing products
- Evaluate their ideas and products against their own design criteria and consider the views of others to improve their work
- Understand how key events and individuals in design and technology have helped shape the world