Keswick at war
…Explore the history of Keswick in the First World War
The session concentrates on Keswick and the surrounding area in the First World War. The children will explore different aspects of the war through the paintings of the official war artist Baxter of Borrowdale and by investigating the War and Peace exhibition. Three hands on activities which complement each other will deepen understanding and focus on what a soldier took to the front, the work of the nurse and include handling of genuine artefacts.
- Explore the exhibition and investigate stories of real Keswick people
- What a soldier took to the front, the students will investigate a rucksack containing replicas
- The work of the nurse, the children discover what life was like as a nurse and can test their own first aid skills
- Object handling, we will examine a number of genuine museum artefacts and work out what they are for and who might have used them.
- Year groups 3-6;
- The three activities including exploration of the exhibition take 2 hours
- One of the activities is self-led with clear instructions
- The students work together in pairs or groups,
- 10am-12 or 1-3pm
- £3.00 per pupil, leaders free.
- Lunch possible on site if booked in advance
Contact: 017687 73263 firstname.lastname@example.org